Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Spring comes to Leetonia

One of the first trees to bloom in the forest is the Fire Cherry. As you can see the other trees are just beginning to open buds.
In a couple of weeks much will change in the woods. Now you can see across the mountains through the trees. As the leaves come out the sun will disappear and the woods will once again be cloaked in its summer gear.
Spring Trout season starts Saturday and the following week will be gobbler season. I have seen many a gobbler out with hens since we have had such warm weather. It is amazing how many turkeys you will see right up to the day before hunting season. Then mysteriously they all disappear.
Is it the first shot in the air or some sort of Turkey psychic ability, I will never know.
I am back from working in California for a month as work here dried up for me during this winter. I have a few projects to do then some temporary work for the census. Hopefully, things will loosen up this year and people will do more than just repairs.

I haven't adjusted to the time change yet. It takes me a few weeks to make up 3 hours. But I am enjoying being on firm ground. We had multiple earthquakes. All stemming from a 7.2 a hundred miles away from San Diego. I was hanging ceramic tile at the time of the first hit and I wasn't sure it was staying up. I made a beeline off the porch and away from the building. The worst part is it doesn't stop for some time. There were four more after shocks within an hour and at least one a day for 5 days until I left.
I don't like earthquakes. I would much rather deal with snow storms, wind storms, tornadoes, you can get away from them. But there is no escaping an earthquake. I am glad to be back in Leetonia away from the hoards of people and the moving ground.
I feel like I missed much of winter and I am trying to catch up with the fact it is Spring. I am sure the birds and the bugs will remind me. Mountain girl, Paula, logging off.

No comments: