Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Logs come rolling in!

One advantage of being in the woods near loggers is I can buy a tri-axel load of tree-tops for firewood. The first year I lived up here, I tromped around the woods looking for anything dead to load into the truck and haul home. In a mountainous area it is difficult to get the wood down to your truck and I would often spend a day and be lucky to get more than 1 or 2 truck loads of wood. It takes about 6 full size truck loads to make a cord of wood and I burn about 6-8 cords a winter. You can see how time consuming this was. The other down side was I couldn't get into the woods when it was muddy, which was usually the time I had off from work. It was also hard on the truck and I spent a lot of money on gas to drive around finding wood. In one load I get about 10 cords of logs for around $500 delivered where I can cut and split them in my spare time regardless of how muddy the forest gets.

I decided to get a movie of this for those of you that have never seen a logging truck in action. These guys that run them make it look easy, but I am sure it is not. They run up and down these narrow roads in all kinds of weather. Meeting them on an icy narrow road is not fun, its not fun when the roads are good. Coming to a complete stop has proved the best tactic as passing is often defined in inches not feet. Have a great Leetonia Day and be glad you won't be meeting any of these trucks on the narrow roads of Leetonia today. Mountain girl, Paula logging out...or should I say cutting out.

No comments: