Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Yep, its slippery!


For those of you who would like to know the road conditions this picture should help. I am generally pretty cautious on these roads and chain-up when it is slippery. But I think having the roads plowed and salted this year made me lazy. I thought I could sneak through a section that wasn't salted. I did once, but on the way back on Leetonia Road just before Micks I felt my truck swerve dangerously close to a 50' drop-off. I was able to keep it away from the drop off but the mountain jumped out and bite my bumper. Once the mountain had a grip on my bumper I felt the rear of my truck pass me and I found my self in the ditch facing the opposite way. I got out to inspect the damage and see how I was going to get out. I walked to the back of the truck and both feet flew out from under me, I hit my elbow hard and then my head.
"Yes, Paula it is icy," I could hear my truck say. At this point some cursing was involved and I sat in my truck and cried a little pity party for myself.

I knew no one would be coming to my rescue. Lee wasn't home, cell phones don't work, and there isn't anyone driving this road (some people are smart enough not to drive on these roads). So, I gathered up some courage and got out again with more caution. The bumper was pushed into my tire. I needed something to pry it off. I walked up to Micks and borrowed a shovel and a crow bar. I was able to free my tire from the bumper and I shoveled under the tires and tried to back out of the ditch. My rear tires spun on the ice. I got out my chains and placed them on the ground in a line behind my tires this gave me just enough grip to get out of the ditch. I gathered up the chains and drove slowly backwards to Micks driveway were it was salted and I could turn around.

I realized how lucky I had been. If I had gone over the edge and been hurt the single digit temps would have not treated me kindly. Lee was in New York and didn't get home that night until 11:30PM, which means no one would have looked for me for twelve long cold hours. One good thing is she would have known where to look, since we keep track of each other very closely for just this reason. So today when I got up with a bruised swollen elbow, a broken truck and a bruised ego. I could still feel lucky.

So, warning if you are coming up wear chains. Also we are having more snow Friday so the road conditions could change. Right now it is icy, rutty, and a bit mean out there. Drive careful I don't need any members to my truck smashing club. Mountain girl, Paula, logging out!

No comments: