Monday, January 4, 2010

A day in the life

Another cold start to the day. A day when I thought I would be getting some paid work done. But, alas it wasn't to be so. I needed to use my generator at the site since there is no electric and it was too cold to start. I got blocked on another job that the money didn't show up for so I spend the day inside doing home work.
I spent the day sorting through stuff I never get the time to sort. I filled three garbage bags with papers and junk to get rid of. Then decided it would be a good day to defrost the freezer. I didn't have to worry about the food melting...I just put it in a box outside in our outdoor freezer. The high was only 22 so I think it was colder then my inside freezer. The ice had gotten nearly 3 inches thick in some places and it took a lot of boiling water to melt it all. Between melting ice, I kept putting wood on the fire to stay comfortable. In this windy, freezing weather tending the fire is a full time job in itself.
Called the gas company and it seems they aren't making it up the road. I told them to go around instead of up from Cedar Run so we will see if I get propane. Our cook stove, water heater and dryer as well as a small space heater run on propane.
The first year we were up here I had 100Lb individual tanks. We went through six of them that winter and since there was no delivery...we ended up hauling them horizontally in the back of the Subaru since I didn't have a truck that year.This is not the safest thing to do and those tanks are a challenge to get into place. After that we went to a 500 gallon tank, which we use up in about a year. We use half in the winter and half in the summer. Right now it is half full and we are just starting the coldest part of winter. If they don't show we might make it. But it is nice not to have to worry about it.
Scooter decided today would be the day he would roll in something nasty so he got a bath. He was lucky the house was warmed up by then. I started cleaning the library and sorting through old books and magazines. I finally decided the ton of old building magazines I have must go to make room for life. I think the library is at least a three day project.
My daughter and grandkids are trying to come up the end of the week for a visit providing no major snowstorms. She just told me her golden retriever got a little too close to their wood burner and her daughter noticed the dog's tail smoking. She said they put it out before any damage was done to dog or house. Never a dull moment. Tomorrow the plans are to do some electric work at a neighbors it is in an unheated garage so it will be long underwear day. Time to hit the hay as they say. Mountain girl, Paula, logging out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and wanted to say how much I enjoy reading it. Several of us used to go up to the Lee Pines Camp back in the late 70's for fly fishing in the late Spring. I still see Bob Ebersole at our Moose lodge on occasion. My wife and I now have a place near Germania. We get over to Leetonia several times a year and it reminds me of the great times I had there years ago. I just hope all the gas drilling doesn't ruin the whole area up there.