Monday, January 25, 2010

Rain in January

This is Lee reporting for Paula while she is in Illinois helping her daughter remodel her basement since she doesn't have much work here right now. Winter is always slow.

Rain in January is not ideal for the mountain girls due to it creating more icy conditions. The first picture is the creek coming down from the back of our house. At the bottom there is a picture of the creek across the street from us that used to be the beaver pond.

You can see that we still have a little snow and the roads are still ice covered. Places that the sun hits the roads everything has melted for the most part. The part of the road that doesn't get plowed is extremely icy at least in Leetonia. I didn't take a chance to venture further down the road. I was on edge just going to downtown Leetonia with studded snow tires.

Pine Creek at Cedar Run went from 2 feet this morning to almost 9 feet the last time I checked. Our pond in the back is full and the overflow is raging. It seems like Spring in January. At this point winter sports are out of the question here unless you want to ice skate on the roads. When I went by the pipeline today the snowmobile trail was completely gone or icy.

You can see the road in front of my house in the other picture featuring Spec the new addition to our family. He is a real sweetheart and quick as a rabbit. Paula rescued him from the SPCA in Wellsboro. I always wanted a lap dog that is actually small enough to fit on your lap. Scooter thinks he's a lap dog at 90 pounds. UGH! Also in the picture is the back of Leo on the left and Thor on the right.

I recently got back from a trip to Tucson which was very nice. The weather was perfect while I was there. I love the multitude of cactus. Tucson is a very pretty interesting city surrounded with beautiful mountains. It was nice to visit but I am glad to be home to our mountains. There really is no place like home. At least for me.

Time to settle in with the boys. If anything of interest comes up I will post again. Mountain Girl Lee (AKA Riverbear) logging off.

2 comments:

Fred said...

Lee,
Great to hear from you! The new dog is really cute and will give you much joy I'm certain, and he can actually sit on your lap! We love our schnauzer lap dogs.....

Fred & Carol Espenship
Evergreen, Colorado

Rosie said...

Lee, I am so impressed with your journalist talent!
The blog is great, showing those pics of the water is amazing. Your dogs look adorable, especially your new baby! I bet you missed him on your trip.
I'm going to show Marsha your blog.
Continue to be careful on those icy roads--no more accidents!
I'm going to Miami after all.
Love you!