Sunday, February 17, 2013

Ice Castles




One of the most beautiful things up here in the winter are the ice sculptures formed on the sides of the mountain. The small trickles of water coming out of the rock freeze in cold weather and make these amazing sights. In contrast to the ice are the pools of water in Cedar Run Creek, which almost appear green during the cool weather. The ice its self has almost a blue cast to it. Some ice depending on where the water seeps out will have other colors such as brown or reddish brown. These pictures where taken behind the little log cabin along the road about 3 miles South of Leetonia on Leetonia Rd. Just thought you might all enjoy seeing them. As pretty as the ice and snow can be, I am about ready for some warmer weather. Tonight will get down to 8 degrees so won't be too Springlike in the morning. For those of you marking your calenders for some March events, the Maple Sugar Festival will be March 23rd and 24th. Set your sweet tooth for some goodness. Mountain girl, Paula, logging out.

3 comments:

rockhouse said...

Thanks for the wonderful pictures and I have always admired that little log cabin along the creek. I'm also getting tired of Winter here in Colorado and am looking forward to Spring weather. Hope you're on your way to Cedar Run for a cup of coffee?

Pianoman said...

Paula,
This was always one of my favorite parts of driving back in during the winter. Since I have not been able to get up this year, I appreciate you sharing the pictures.

Dave Shover
PIano Man
Peter's Camp

Pianoman said...

The ice formations were always one of my favorite parts of driving back in during the winter. Since I haven't been able to make it up this year, I appreciate you sharing the photos.