Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Day!


Today was a perfect blue day all signs of the smoke are gone tonight. They still have Fahneystock and Mine Hole Road closed. I believe they are still watching some hot spots there as we saw some burning on the way to Cedar Run this morning.

The good news is Elk Township has started working on the road from Mine Hole up. I am not sure when the State will do their part which is the worst of the road the last two miles up from 414. Seems like people are coming in to camp and fish during this nice weather. The bugs are particularly bad early this year so make sure you bring a head net or bug spray.

I had to share this good picture with you after so much bad news over the last several days and also thank the majority of emails which are so supportive of the blog and connecting people with Leetonia. I have enjoyed my entire 55 years up here. First as a kid coming up for vacation, riding in the jeep with the Reese boys and getting those great peanut butter cups. Later as an adult I longed to stay up here full-time, but when you are raising kids life has a way of putting your dreams on hold. Now for the last 6 years, I have lived my dream. It is tough up here if you don't have an outside source of money as Mick will tell you and the romantic ideal of living in the woods, quickly gives way to the daily struggle of survival. But it is still worth every minute of it. The good, the bad, the hard and the wonderful beauty of this great forest. As I drove home today dodging a deer and watching a turkey scoot out of my yard as I drove up, I know why I love it. You all have a great Leetonia Day! Mountain girl, Paula, logging out!

No comments: