Thursday, February 5, 2009

Leetonia half-track at the Ruins

Bob Weise sent me these pictures of this crazy looking machine called a half-track. It is half jeep and half tank. I don't know who is driving it, but I am told they ripped around Leetonia in in during the early 70's wearing german helmets.

I guess what they say about boys and their toys is true. They never outgrow them they just get bigger and from the looks of these pictures crazier. In looking at this machine, I will admit some envy. It looks like it could get us in and out of the mountains in any weather. I bet if you put a plow on the front you could just about make your own road.

The quality of the pictures are a little poor since it is a copy of a copy, but you still get a feel for the size and construction of this monster machine. I remember Jimmy at the Ruins saying something about a standoff with this machine that might have involved the authorities, but that is another story.

If any of you have Leetonia pictures you would like to scan and send to me and my email please do. campeaglebear@yahoo.com I love getting them.

Today we started the day in negative temperatures with a negative 8 overnight. However they are still planning above freezing temps for the weekend. I know I and the dogs are looking forward to feeling a bit warmer on our walks. Mountain girl, Paula, logging out!

1 comment:

Bob Paul said...

Paula,

I remember playing in this half-track in the summers and watching these guys drive around in it in the winter. Thanks for the memories.

Bob Paul