Sunday, February 22, 2009

Leetonia winter newspaper

Leetonia has a winter newspaper. Its white like all newspaper, but doesn't show up on any schedule. Now if you are wondering who puts out this paper I will tell you, "Mother Nature."

Every time it snows even just a little you can read the information just by taking a walk. I know if someone has been down the road and if they have what kind of vehicle they were in. I also know if they had problems sliding or being stuck in a ditch. Of course my favorite news is about the animals. Which animal has walked across the road today: bear, deer, turkey, bobcat, coyote, fox, grouse, mouse or squirrel?
This morning I took a long walk with the dogs(8 miles). During our eight miles no vehicles passed us, but we did see a couple of snowmobiles on other trails. Scooter spotted the first animals a little before me, a small flock of Turkeys. Scooter ran quickly after them and got them to fly up in the trees, he was very proud of himself. The two pit bulls watched the event like sports enthusiasts cheering in the stands. I took a picture of one of the Turkey's footprints.
It was a Turkey's antics in the snow a couple years ago that made me laugh. I came upon a small hill that had the snow quite disturbed and at the bottom of the hill was turkey tracks and on
the side of the hill feather marks from his wings flapping as he slide down the entire hill.
The last picture shows some red squirrel tracks the most common of the tracks I find. I usually see them scurrying across the road and up a tree. Leo the oldest pit bull has a habit of checking every culvert pipe that runs under the road for possible varmints. I have to watch him because he actually goes into the pipe looking for critters; these pipes are not that big and he weighs 65lbs. What amazes me is he will even turn around inside. I have explained many times to him that if he gets stuck, I won't be happy finding a backhoe to dig him out of the road. My reasoning is ignored and I have to keep an eagle eye on him at each pipe. Well the fresh snow has been erased by snowmobilers today so this edition of the Leetonia winter paper is signing out. Mountain girl, Paula, logging out.

No comments: