Monday, May 18, 2009

Frost and Hummingbirds.

This morning we woke to a heavy frost on the truck and some cold temperatures. It is supposed to get into the upper 20's again tonight so a fire in the fireplace will be happening again tonight.

During last nights fire we had some entertainment. A bat swooped through the room and awoke three dogs. I opened the back door and Scooter and Thor tried to catch the bat every time it flew over. I was armed with a broom and a hat. I have had success catching them in my hat before. After a half dozen attempts the bat decided to go up stairs. I looked for a long time and found the bat hanging near a picture.
I nabbed it in the hat, but the thing squeezed out. The bat then returned downstairs for another round with the dogs and my broom. I smacked it to the floor and it slid under the stove. I looked everywhere with a flashlight and moved the stove, but the bat disappeared again and I didn't find it. So I sleep with the bedroom door closed and expect to see the bat again tonight.

Lee has all her hummingbird feeders up and despite the cold the numbers of birds are increasing daily. She has a total of 14 feeders up and the cabin is starting to feel like a hummingbird hive once again.

Well, we are stoking up the fireplace again tonight and hopefully will not have the winged visitor. Mountain girl, Paula, logging out.

1 comment:

Fred said...

Everytime I open your website, I expect that frost to have melted of the window, but it never does....


Sincerely,

Fred