Friday, May 1, 2009

May Day surprise

This morning at 1:30 am I was awoken by barking dogs. I yelled at them to be quiet and when they continued I knew something was probably outside. I looked out the back door first and saw and heard nothing. I was just about to give the dogs a false alarm scolding when I turned on the light to the front porch.
Two porcupines had come through the dog door and now couldn't get out. I own a gun for a couple reasons and this was one of them. I don't enjoy shooting porcupines, but they destroy everything I own. So they are now resting in front of the door getting ready for a trip far away from the dogs.
Cleaning up after them is hazardous as you can see by my boot you are just as likely to get quilled moving them. Also they leave quills everywhere if they are disturbed. These quills can get stuck in a dog foot or in your finger as you pick them up. So I have hundreds of small quills to pick up off my porch. Leo hides when I shoot the porcupines, Scooter doesn't care and thankfully it didn't seem to bother Thor who after being shot himself, I worried might be gun shy.
I am going to leave you with a more pleasant picture of the Fire Cherry blooming on the side of the mountain. Our recent rain is greening things up and bringing some color to Leetonia. Mountain girl Paula, Logging off and picking up quills.

No comments: