Monday, August 3, 2009

Leetonia summer of rain

The Bee Balm is in bloom. I took this picture in Leetonia behind a camp. Here is a description of the plant from the internet:

Other Names: Eastern Beebalm, Bergamot, Wild Oswego Tea, Horsemint, Monarda

Bee Balm Herb Uses and Medicinal Properties

Bee Balm is edible and medicinal, the entire plant above ground is edible used as a pot herb, and it is also used as a flavoring in cooked foods. The flowers make an attractive edible garnish in salads. The plant is noted for its fragrance, and is a source of oil of thyme. The fresh or dried leaves are brewed into a refreshing aromatic and medicinal tea. An infusion of young Bee Balm leaves used to form a common beverage in many parts of the United States.

Bee Balm leaves and flowers and stems are used in alternative medicine as an antiseptic, carminative, diaphoretic, diuretic and stimulant. An infusion is medicinal used internally in the treatment of colds, catarrh, headaches, and gastric disorders, to reduce low fevers and soothe sore throat, to relieve flatulence, nausea, menstrual pain, and insomnia. Steam inhalation of the plant can be used for sore throats, and bronchial catarrh (inflammation of the mucus membrane, causing an increased flow of mucus). Externally, it is a medicinal application for skin eruptions and infections. Bergamot's distinctive aroma, found in both the leaf and flower is wonderful for use in potpourri.


Cedar Run creek is flowing high for this time of year. My last picture is taken from the bridge in Leetonia and looks more like a Spring picture. The plants are very green from all the rain and the water is running constantly. In fact Saturday early I went for a kayak ride from Blackwell to Cedar Run. I haven't taken the time to do this for a couple years and decided I couldn't resist the abnormally high water. It took a little over an hour to float down and about a half hour to ride my bike back up to get my truck.

I went early in the morning and no one was out until I reached Cedar Run. The quiet trip was perfect capped by silent running of an eagle low, over the top of my kayak, scanning the creek. It don't get any better than that. Well today is promised to be sunny so I am off to do some outside work. Mountain girl, Paula, logging off.

1 comment:

elaine said...

Beautiful! I want to be there!