Thursday, October 1, 2009

A day in the life

Above is a picture of Leo and Scooter from left to right. Sometimes having dogs can be fun and sometimes it can be frustrating. Scooter goes to work with me nearly everyday since he is the only one of the three dogs who doesn't mind the nailer and saw noise. He has learned to keep close track of me before I go to work so he doesn't miss the ride and starts getting anxious to go home around 5pm. It is like having a doggie alarm clock. For the most part Scooter is good at the work site and will stay close only barking if someone comes up unannounced. He is good company and gives me someone to talk to at lunch and I admit sharing a bit of my sandwich with him on occasion.

Yesterday, however, he got on the bad dog award. I was running out of stained boards and thought I would stop early and run to pick up some more before the lumber yard closed. Just as I got ready to open the truck door a squirrel ran past the truck. Scooter ran over to the driver's side and nicely hit the lock button for the doors. I looked at my keys in the ignition and the closed windows and realized I now had a problem. First I thought how hard can it be to get him to step on the button again. I walked to the driver's side and called him he moved over and I tapped the window. He just sat there and looked at me.

"Scooter, step on the button!" I yelled.

He just cocked his head and looked at me like I had just spoken a foreign language. I had this happen once before with another dog when I stepped out of the truck running at the lumber yard. That time I was able to crawl through the sliding back window. After that I always took my keys or left the window rolled down a bit...until today.

Now I had to call Lee and admit my stupidity as she brought an extra set of keys. It took about a half hour for her to get there. As she backed into the drive I noticed her back tire was flat. Well that rounds off the day nicely, I thought. I had an air compressor at the site and we blew the tire up. I thought for sure I would hear some gaping hole letting the air out as fast as it went in, but to my delight it held. It must be a slow leak. She got home alright and I made it to the lumber yard, no thanks to Scooter, my helpful work dog. Mountain girl, Paula, logging out.

No comments: