Saturday, May 25, 2013

1,2,3 Pet the Kitty



Lee Anne came inside this morning all excited. "The cat let me pet him!" 
Now to most of you this may sound like an everyday occurrence, but for the feral cat who stayed with us all winter it was a major trust step.  
So after her announcement, I had to try. Armed with a piece of cheese to lure him in, I got him to come down to the area we feed him. But every time I would move my hand towards him, he would jump back. I thought Lee would be the only victory for the day. Then he started rubbing against the cage and he got closer and closer until he let me scratch his ear and then his entire body. It took a long five months of feeding him and watching him run at even the sight of us to this point. He is still jumpy at any quick movement and as I was close to him he seemed to have a bit of a sniffle. As time goes on I am hoping to get him some shots to avoid any diseases he might bring home. But, I am thinking to wait and not have it be the first thing that happens to him now that he trusts us. 
It got down to 31 last night and is expected to do the same tonight. I had to start a fire for my mother who is more used to Texas weather and was just about freezing when our house got down to 68. She actually went to Goodwill and bought a winter coat. I will have to admit with the wind at 25 mph yesterday and 50 degrees it was a bit cold. The only thing nice about the cold is the bug population is slowed way down. Enjoy the holiday. Mountain girl, Paula, logging out.

1 comment:

rockhouse said...

I'm so happy for you guys "and the cat"! I hope things progress....keep us updated!

Fred
Evergreen