Monday, August 25, 2014

Past and Present

White House in Leetonia

Millworkers
Leetonia was once a booming Tannery and Mill town, now the sounds of work have turned to sounds of recreational cabins and hunting. I remember the White House when I was a kid in the 60's I don't remember exactly when it was torn down, but the Forestry Department used it for a while as a residence for the Forester, Ray Low, who grew up in our place as a kid.

Living in Leetonia back then wasn't an easy life. You worked for the company town and owed most of your paycheck to the company store by the end of the week. Your house didn't have insulation or insulated glass windows, cracks in the wall where covered with newspapers or anything you could jamb in a crack to stop the wind. You didn't set a thermostat to stay warm. You chopped wood and were happy if the temperatures stayed above freezing at night. No indoor plumbing(which was probably good, since it would have froze), water came from the creek or a spring. Baths were seasonal events not daily. Yep the sights and the sounds and the smells were very different then.

Now you would never know this past existed. Leetonia is quiet except on Holidays and weekends during the summer and hunting seasons. For people out of the area, Leetonia, which is still on the map is an illusion of a living town with food, shelter, and gas.  When you look at signs and road maps it makes you think, a State Road, and signs to Leetonia,  it must have something. This  thought has gotten many a person lost or stranded in Leetonia. It isn't uncommon for someone to run out of gas, break down.  If this happens to you unless you can walk four to five miles to the top of the mountain for cell service or walk eight miles to Cedar Run. You are at the mercy of the woods and hope someone will come down the road.

Yesterday, while working at Cassel's camp, a man walked up asking if I knew where he could get a motorcycle tire fixed. He and his wife were touring the area and gotten a flat. This presented two problems: nothing is open on Sunday, and nothing is close. I took them back to my place and found out the Harley dealer in Mansfield was still open, so we loaded it up on my trailer and I hauled them there. We made it ten minutes before they closed and wouldn't be open until Tuesday. Sometimes life works perfectly even if it isn't what you planned for the day.
As many of you know I had a bad accident in the woods a little over six years ago and if it hadn't been for others coming to our aid with food and finances we wouldn't have made it. I have always helped others when I could, but my accident made me realize how important the help of others can be. So thanks to you all who helped me I continue to pay it forward and you are part of that spirit. I hope these people enjoyed the rest of their vacation and their misfortune became a good story they have to share with others.

Short note: our power issues continued for a couple days with on and off issues. I am hoping things get ironed out before Labor Day weekend. Mountain girl, Paula, logging out.


2 comments:

rockhouse said...

Very nice story and reflection! So glad you are with us and safe....thanks for helping them!

Fred

Anonymous said...

Real good stuff these last 2 posts. Enjoy riding my bike by your place, I ride alone so when I get a flat I dread the idea of hiking in motorcross boots! Scott