Sunday, October 21, 2007

Best Friend perishes



On October 6th, my best friend Jack, who you also see in my profile died in a tragic accident. He was in the prime of his life at 7 and had a full life up here on the mountain chasing and fighting with the bears. Tangling with skunks and worst of all porcupines.

Friends have told me before he died you need to write a book about Jack's adventures. Perhaps someday I will right now the pain is too fresh from seeing him go. I adopted him from a shelter in 2002 and he came to the mountains a city dog and a pitbull without fear.

He ran after everything at first and went right through the multiflora rose after many a rabbit. He did learn that wasn't the best way to catch them and resulted in many thorns to be removed and tears to his skin. Jack was an agile dog and could walk on the narrowest ledge and make it look easy. He jumped into my truck without as much effort as most of us would take to tie our shoes. After following me back to our pond in the truck something happened...I heard a yip and looked behind me to see him holding up his paw. I stopped and the person riding with me got out... as he did... Jack ran up and jumped into the truck...I walked around to look at his paw...as I lifted it he slumped into his favorite truck and died. For someone who is deeply connected to nature and her animals it has been a hard time for me. I buried him a top the mountain and he is watching over us with the best view around.

No comments: