Sunday, October 28, 2007

Old Cabin Restored

Another project completed this year was the restoration of our old cabin. My grandfather purchase this 80 acres farm from the Lowe family back in the 1940's. The first picture is the original cabin around 1946. The cabin was done with hemlock board and batten and creosoted.

My grandfather covered the cabin in the 1960's with asbestos siding because the wood was being attacked by woodpeckers. It remained this ugly green siding we all hated until the 1990's when
I painted it brown still desiring to restore it.

Well, last year I found a place that would take the old siding and had all of the hemlock locally sawn by a Lowe, pretty ironic, although he is not related to the Lowes my grandfather bought the place from as far as I can tell.

I used a pecan stain on the wood, since creosote is out of the question in today's cancer and environmentally sensitive world. And as you can see it looks much better than the original. I am sure grandpa and grandma are smiling somewhere watching all the work being done to the old place.

Mountain girl, Paula, logging out!

No comments: