Saturday, October 27, 2007

Pond Restored

The first two pictures were taken in 1956 when my grandfather first built the pond in the back of the property. It was constructed by damming the valley between the two hills.

It is interesting to notice the lack of trees on the side of the hill behind the car. My grandfather's luck with the pond was not good. I don't remember the first time it broke, but I do remember the second... the hurricane, Agnes, which hit soon after he reconstructed the dam. The dam didn't have time to settle and washed away easily. That was the last time any amount of water was in the pond and the last time my grandfather tried to fix it.


Fast forward two generations to me. Something always eats at you when you see something your grandfather wanted so bad to work fail. I have had the desire to restore the pond for a long time. I have been nay sayed by those who would like to give it the same fate as my grandfather's attempts, but silly me I thought it could still be done.

I did a little research and have incorporated a few things my grandfather did not. After living here for five years I have noted how much water flows during our worst storms. It looked like enough to fill a 2' diameter pipe....so I put in two 2' pipes. I also
offset them to one side and allowed and emergency overflow towards the tree side of the pond.


With that all said until the dam settles and the seed I planted gets a good root it is in the danger phase. I will breathe much easier if I make it through the end of May with everything intact an growing. Since this year is the driest we have had for a long time, I am hoping it is a good time to try.


So far the little rain we have gotten has barely moistened the pond, my grass is sprouting and we are off to a good start. I will update you on any changes and show you pictures of any water I get. If everything holds stocking it with fish won't be far behind.

Mountain Girl, Paula, logging out!

No comments: