Saturday, May 22, 2010

The web of life

One of the signs of warm weather are the spider webs that glisten in the morning dew. It is amazing how fast these little engineers can build their webs when the weather warms up. They aren't easily visible until the dew is on them and the morning sun makes them shimmer. It almost looks like little puffs of cotton on the side of the mountain.
Driving into Galeton down Pigeon Hill Road and Button Hollow I was met with a different kind of web. Gypsy moth caterpillars (Forest tent caterpillars) hanging from trees were so prevalent it covered my truck in a web by the time I reached town.
Upon exiting the truck, I too was covered.
Tons of strands went over my bed and doors so that every time I moved near the truck I collected more webs. I wish I had my camera with me then.
This means the tree damage will again be high by Galeton it is too early to tell how far this way it will come. You can see the crawling caterpillars everywhere. Well, I am off to work. Mountain girl, Paula, logging off.

No comments: