Wednesday, October 29, 2008

October Snow


This morning I woke up to see a white yard. Small flakes are still falling and it looks like our first day of temperatures not getting out of the 30's. I have been busy trying to finish up outside work, but it is slow going with my back still healing from the accident. At the most I have been able to work about a half a day. Still I feel lucky to be working at all.

I am doing physical therapy twice a week for the back and by next Summer I hope to be back into good shape. Lee has been splitting wood for the next winter and moving wood closer to the house for this winter. The cost of propane is at a all time high $3.25/gallon. Thankfully, we only used 118 gallons this summer to heat our water, stove and dryer. We use the small gas space heater in the winter only when we leave for an extended period of time or the temperature drops below zero. Last year we used about 200 gallons during the winter. I know the cost of heating effects everyone in the Valley.

Slate Run Store has a large area to heat and very little income in the winter. We have been warned of severe hour cut backs and the employees have been told to come wearing a coat. It is a sign of difficult times. Something this area has been used to and people work together and do what they have to get through it. I know this will be a long winter for many lets hope its not a cold one as well.

The snow should melt off before the weekend as temperatures are going to be back in the fifties. This Friday is Halloween and if you are like me you can remember dragging yourself through the snow to trick or treat once or twice. During the day's of paper bags many a child lost their candy to the wet snow working on the bag. Have a great Leetonia Snow day. Mountain girl Paula logging off and going to work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Paula!
good to hear from you again and so good to hear about winter in the northland! Sure wish we were there! I love winter! We just do not get enough snow down here (Lancaster area)anymore to please me. So enjoy the white stuff a little bit for me!