Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Back Home in Leetonia

I am back! Leetonia Lee did such a good job while I was gone we might have to get her to write a little more often.

Looks like the excavator left by the township will be with us for the winter. They waited too long to move it and it is pretty much snowed in. The stack of firewood for next winter is also feeling a wintery blanket of snow.

The snowmobile is ready for any problems the township may have with getting us plowed or getting to cabins that never get plowed from here. Our snowmobile is pretty old and doesn't have some of the smooth riding features of the newer models. So I have to say we don't ride it for fun. I use it to make a trail for my cross-country skis and for short trips around Leetonia.
When I drove back to the woods with Lee, Sunday, I felt good again seeing the trees and the mountains. I just don't feel at home without them.

My first day back was greeted by a cold artic blast. Thirty mile per hour winds took our cabin to a brisk 48 degrees when I woke up Monday. Leetonia Lee should be called Polar Bear Lee because she likes it cold. I am sure if I or the dogs didn't complain not much firewood would be burnt above 50 degrees in the house.

We are a spoiled lot compared to the pioneers of the area who often had frozen water in their buckets to melt before they could make coffee. Of course they didn't have to worry about pipes freezing, since they didn't have any. They kept on heavy clothes and didn't take baths in the winter. I am sure by Spring it was a pleasant change to get really clean. This time of year brings a lot more work to my work. It is harder to get materials into jobs and to get to the jobs to do anything. I think often much of my work involves getting to work and setting up rather than getting much done. We passed the shortest day of the year on Sunday so with more light everyday we will have more and more time to get things done. Mountain girl, Paula, logging off.

No comments: