Saturday, January 17, 2009

-23 Sets record for Leetonia

I spent the night sleeping near the fireplace keeping it stoked with wood. We have never seen temperatures this low since we have been here. The puppy appreciated the company all night and huddled close to me under the covers adding a sort of doggie heated blanket effect. I ran the faucet on low last night and thankfully had no frozen pipes to deal with this morning. It was so cold the back door was frozen to the frame and had to be popped open. The truck grudgingly turned over acting like it had ice for pistons. I had to let it warm up for fifteen minutes just to drive it a quarter mile down the road. Such is the harshness of an Arctic Blast in the mountains.

What amazed me was the number of people who braved the cold to snowmobile. They all looked like human marshmallows bundled up with so many layers. Tomorrow promises to get into the mid twenties and I can tell you it will feel like a heat wave to go up forty degrees from our current temperatures. The dogs missed their walk today since this kind of cold makes their feet bleed if they walk to far on the icy ground. They went out only long enough to do their business and were happy to come back in to the fire.

I finished some work in a heated area today and was glad to have something to do other than outdoors. Since my work was close I walked the quarter mile home for lunch and that was enough outdoor activity to satisfy me. Mountain girl, Paula, logging out and staying warm.

No comments: