Thursday, January 8, 2009

Good time for a Break

It is snowing again today after a little ice storm the other night. I hadn't seen the plow for a week when I received a call from Lee Stover saying the plow truck's clutch was broken and they were having a hard time getting another one. He only has a regular size truck with a plow to replace it and that doesn't have any way to spread cinders; so the road waits and gets increasingly more snow covered. However sometimes when the snow freezes just right on the ice it gives you a little grip so it is not as slippery. For now I am choosing to stay put since Lee is gone to visit relatives in Erie. Our safety line has always been having at least one person know where we are supposed to be so if
we don't show up people know where to look.

When I had my accident, I had called Lee before I left the cabin to come home, something I don't usually do in the summer months, but now looking back on it realize how knowing that gave me a better chance of being found if I would not have been able to get out myself.

Thor is pretty much healed up after needing two trips to the vet to remove various quills from his original accident almost two months ago. It is amazing how they can move around in a dog's body so long, then abscess and pop up. The last one popped up in his lower eyelid dangerously close to his eye. I think the vet's office is his second home and they all love him.
As you can see he has no problem challenging Scooter to a tug of war. The looser in this game was the toy. Thor is very careful to gradually pull the toy away from Scooter, since Scooter can be a little possessive of his toys. Thor kept a small amount of pressure on the toy and when Scooter forgot about him and let go...he slowly took the toy away. It is the first time I have seen Scooter defeated in this game. I took a picture of Thor holding the prize proudly, but it was too blurry to share.

Thor may have three legs but he is definitely not handicapped. He keeps up with the other dogs on walks and runs up and down the mountain like a goat. Yesterday coming down a steep hill his back leg went into a snow covered ditch. He slid across the road on his belly and not missing a beat got his rear leg under him and caught up with us. He didn't whine or lay down and give up. He acts like he has four legs, but his fourth leg is magical and never gets caught in a snow bank. Much of the time he does act more mature than I would expect a eight month old dog to act, but when he chews things up and roughs up Leo, he is quick to remind me of his age. I don't treat him any differently than my other dogs except for the occasional help he needs getting in and out of the vehicle.

The roads are four-wheel drive only and have chains with you for bad spots. It is around 25 and windy today. The dogs are taking me out for a walk so I stay in shape during this bad weather. Mountain girl, Paula, logging out, and putting spikes on my boots to walk.

No comments: