Friday, January 30, 2009

Snow continues

Huge flakes were falling this morning as I wondered how much snow we would be getting today. It has snowed everyday for three days now and the snowplow guy is starting to get tired of it. Unfortunately, it is only January and we have some of our bigger snows in February and March.
You can see from the pictures the snow between the house and the garage has piled up to about four feet in some places. This makes for a steep climb as you come out of the porch to get to the burn barrel and compost pit. When the snow slides off the roof it is going to be even higher.

I am not sure if this is a record amount of snow, but the snow isn't melting much between snows with the cold temperatures so it is piling up more and more. I am glad the road is being plowed now. It is nice knowing we can get out in a car and it gives me and the dogs a place to walk that isn't so deeply covered in snow.
Last weekend turned out to be a rough one for snowmobilers staying at a cabin next to us. One of them ran his snowmobile over the edge down about a hundred feet in the dark. He thinks he hit a few trees on the way down. He said he hit a patch of ice and before he knew it he was down. His buddies didn't see him go off and went past him once until he was able to climb to the top of the hill on to the road. The next day they came here to tell me they had tried to go down the road(unplowed) toward Cedar Run and now had their truck stuck. We called a tow truck for them and I noticed the guy who went over the mountain looked pretty sore. I am sure he felt it worse once he got home. I don't know how much the tow was but I am sure it wasn't cheap.
It is possible to drive on the unplowed roads, but you must be very careful to stay on the part the snowmobiles pack down which is usually only a car width wide. If you get off of this you imediately sink and find out just how deep the snow really is. I tempted fate once this year and have no plans of doing it again so I am just not driving on anything risky. If you want to come up stick to the plowed roads or snowmobile on the unplowed roads. Looks like more snow in the forecast and I will keep you updated. Mountain girl, Paula, logging out and digging out.

No comments: