Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Blackberries and Black Bears


It's that time of year and the wild blackberries are numerous on the mountain this year. It takes a while to pick a pie's worth especially for me since I am a little more limited as to where I can climb this year.But a nice patch was close to the road on the way back to our pond and not much climbing was involved.

There are numerous spots were the bear have pushed their way through the scratchy plants to get their share of the tasty fruit. Bears don't seem to digest fruit well and when they eat the berries it comes out looking much the same as it went in only in large mushy piles. The piles are to be avoided stepping in and slipping. The smell and stain of the reprocessed berries are not pleasant.

While picking the berries I am keenly aware of the bears love of them and keep an ear and eye open. For such large creatures they can be amazingly quiet while eating and walking. Usually when finding a bear it is as much shock to him as it is to me. The bears so far have scooted off quickly at the sight of me. Although, in my turtle shell brace I do feel a little more vulnerable especially after Leo got smacked this June. Not the first time I have seen a black bear act aggressive but it was the first time they have challenged any of my dogs.

Well, it got down to 36 degrees last night. It is gradually creeping toward the freezing mark. I am sure my neighbor Mick has a fire going this morning. He seems to like it warm and he loves to cook on his cast iron stove. Lee is like a polar bear to her the weather is just right. I know I will be wearing a sweatshirt long before she agrees to start a fire in such warm weather. I am planning on making a pie out of these berries today and enjoying the fruits of the forest.

Mountain girl, Paula, logging out.

No comments: