Sunday, August 31, 2008

Pole Climber in Leetonia 1947


Here is another fun picture from the Red Rock collection. This is Gene Garber climbing a telephone pole on Leetonia Rd. near Leetonia. This was taken in November, 1947.

Looks like a cold day to be up in the air. I notice he doesn't have any safety equipment. Must have been before the days of OSHA. I don't even see any spikes on his boots. It is obvious that climbing a pole for Gene was second nature.

I don't think we had electric at this camp until sometime in the 50's a fact I will have to check out. But it had to be close to that time they even had electric back here. This could possibly be one of the first poles to bring electric to Leetonia.

Times have definitely changed fast. We didn't even have a phone here before 2002. I remember making the first call to my brother in LA and we were both so shocked we could call from the cabin to anywhere. I added the internet and the cabin seemed to jump a century in technology. We still can't get cell phone reception, which more than challenges some people. But when I see people in town glued to them like they were a second appendage, I am sure being out of the cell phone reception area is a good thing. Everyone is up at their cabins this weekend for Labor Day and I hope to get a few pictures to share with you of all the goings on. Mountain Girl, Paula, Logging out.

No comments: