Sunday, August 17, 2008

Rest and Recovery in Leetonia

Today I spent time resting under the Grandmother Tree, a 200 year old White Pine that is 15 feet in circumference about a hundred yards from our house. I affectionately call her, "Oni", which means Holy One. I took a blanket, pillow and a book resting my head against the base of the tree, I spent the first hour looking and listening.

The day was again pleasant, 70's, cool breeze, bug population low. Scooter and Leo followed me to the tree thinking they were getting a long walk and were disappointed to see me lay down. Leo hung around for a while and then disgusted went home to rest on the soft couch inside the cabin. Scooter wasn't sure what to do. At first he just circled me and licked me to encourage me to resume the walk. Then he took his frustration out on local sticks and roots pulling and chewing them up. After a while he went home as well to see where Leo went. Scooter being young and insecure about seeing me laying there returned a half dozen times and until he gave up on me as well.

Alone I listened to the sound of a hummingbird whistling by within a foot of my head, bugs buzzing and birds chirping. Then a Red Squirrel approached on the branches above me, chirping and shaking his tail at me. I could almost imagine he was saying, "What is this? Why are you sitting under my tree?"
He ventured down the large trunk within eight foot of my head. I wondered if he was brave enough to come all the way down. About that time Scooter reappeared and the squirrel quickly disappeared. Another licking from Scooter and he left again.

Mister squirrel reappears and gives me the same message of disapproval. This time he does not come as closely perhaps afraid of the return of the large fur beast.
"What are you doing?" I asked him as he chattered back with probably the same statement.
It would really come in handy to speak squirrel I thought.
The clouds moved quickly across the sky blotting out the bright sun cooling the air. No feel of rain in the air so I settled back again.

It is a rarity, I could spend such a moment this time of year, since I usually work everyday during the summer months when I am healthy. This after all is my busy time of year, much to be done, firewood to cut for the winter, projects to be finished. But not this year. This is the year the mountain girl has been tamed for a season by an unforgiving corset of plastic holding my spine in place while it heals.

I looked at the clock this morning at exactly 11:15 am and thought seven weeks ago I lay at the bottom of a 53' fall in my vehicle, listening to the sound of my breathe drowning out the sound of my car engine still running after flipping four times and landing in the creek. Feeling the burning pain in my back wondering how badly I was hurt. I felt pain and I knew I was alive. Pain is good.

Now I lay peacefully under my favorite tree thankful to all who have helped me to rest and heal with their support, spiritually, financially and emotionally. Although, I would never wish for anyone to come as close to death as I did. It has been a enlightening experience to see such love given freely.

Now I hear the squirrel chatter, the bird chirp, the wind blow and the dog lick me in the face. It is truly wonderful to be alive in Leetonia today. Mountain girl, Paula, logging off.

P.S. I was informed by Lee the adult male hummingbirds have exited South. We only have juveniles and females left and they are very hungry.

No comments: