Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Down the Creek...Pine Creek that is!

If you jump in Buck Run by our house and float down a mile to Cedar Run and then float down 8 miles to Pine Creek then down 5 miles you will be at Slate Run. Better wear a dry suit though the water still has a few ice cubes floating in it.

The First picture is Slate Run General Store and Orvis Dealer. For the non-fishing person, "Fishing Supply Shop." On our visit today we saw Cozette Stoltzfus, second picture, who works part-time for Tom and Deb Finkbinder, owners of the store. Tom was getting his eyes fixed so neither of them were around for pictures.

The fort was being held down well by their hard-working employee, Shar Bohnert. She was doing it all today, selling gas, groceries, gifts, making sandwiches, answering phone calls mostly asking about Tom's eye surgery.

This store is another great gem of our woods. Last week I called about getting some kerosine, since they closed at 5 pm and it was already 4pm. I knew it would be close. Lee and I jumped on the snowmobile for 8 miles, I jogged to the car the last mile, and shot down the creek 5 miles as fast as possible. I looked at the time it was 5:03PM, of course anywhere else you would have been out of luck. I reached for the first door locked, my heart sank, had I missed the cut-off? Then I saw Tom's car still parked in front, I went to the front door, still open.
Upon seeing me walk in, Shar said, "I told Tom you were coming and he said, leave the door open I will wait for her." Can you imagine any stores near you still being open three minutes after the closing time. I was very greatful desperately needing the kerosine for a heater at a camp.

The last two pictures show the tackle shop and the fanciest fly tying table I ever saw. Today at Slate Run, the animal talk centered around a mother bear and two cubs, apparently all of them fell over a steep embankment near the creek and much to onlookers dismay only the mother could climb out. Wisely, none of the onlookers attempted to rescue the cubs for fear of a non appreciative response from the mother.

The DNR was called and they scooped the cubs up into cages and brought them up to the mother. You've got to love a happy ending. Wish I had some pictures of that for the blog.

It got up to 80 degrees yesterday, and that was quite a shock from 30 degrees in the morning. The birds are busy making noise and the peepers were croaking loudly. It is easy to forget how quiet things are in the winter and how fast it changes with some warm weather.

The roads are clear but extremely muddy. If you don't like your vehicle dirty don't drive back the forest roads right now. Looks good for anyone wanting to see their camp this weekend.

Mountain Girl Road Update: Muddy and slippery and full of pot holes. Your car will need a bath after a visit back here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey the people at wolfs store are the best! My brother in-law was just up to canoe the pine from ansonia to slate run, but only made it as far as blackwell, he was able to get out on his cell phone and called the store to get a hold of his brother at camp to be picked up at blackwell, they sent someone out to relay the message,(as we have no phone at the camp 414) Big Thanks Glenn