Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Leetonia to LA

Los Angelos, California (view from my brothers house)


It is a long way from Leetonia, Pennsylvania to Los Angelos, California in more than miles. I left a balmy 15 degrees to come to a very dry 80 degrees. I drove out of the quiet, snow-covered woods to the loud, people covered hills of LA.

Here people think nothing of driving down to get an ice cream, having a spa treatment or going to see the latest movie. They are in a hurry here to get into the fray of traffic, yell, and honk at each other and look at the oplulant lifestyle of the rich and famous. In Leetonia, the winter cuts us off from any traffic other than snowmobliers. It is the kind of quiet you can hear a snowflake hit the ground in. Sitting here in my brother's house I hear, planes, blowers, dogs, and a constant hum of background noise. He thinks it is very quiet here and perhaps by LA standards it is.

I am finding it more difficult to concentrate in all the noise and feel my usual sense of connection to earth and animals. I am happy for this experience because it is exposing me to what many people on this earth go through daily. The pressure to look, act, and feel a certain way a way that is foreign to me as foreign as being in another land.

We have done some Hollywood things and I got a verbal tour from Stacy's dad who has lived here his entire life. His blood flows with the pavement, glass, stucco, and high buildings that forms his environment. He is a city animal as are many of those I pass by with the glaze of glass, shiny rings and cars forming their adaptations to this big city life.

Many are very happy with their LA home and would certainly die from withdrawl if forced to live in Leetonia. But I see a few whose soul's starve for that of which they know not. That somewhere else to be connected to. They live in LA but their home has yet to be found.

There is much to be said for what money can buy. Yet those with all the money and fancy friends you could ever want...take enough medication to kill an elephant and complain of what they DO NOT HAVE! What is it about the human that never seems to be happy with their existance? People making millions worry if their checking account falls below $100,000. Those who have $20 in their pockets, laugh and frolic through the streets. Our car was ceremonously blessed by such an individual as he skipped out into the crosswalk and let a small piece of napkin float down in front of the grill of our vehicle. He brought a smile to my face and many others. Now you might say that people laughed at him and how sad. But I think he laughs with the world and is blessed in the moment blessing others along his path.

We live in a great world of possiblity and traveling outside of your environment definately expands the minds possiblities. Sometimes it isn't comfortable to be in a new environment, especially for a Mountain Girl put in a manicure place and put in a big chair for a pedicure. I protested the thought of the whole thing feeling the limits of my comfort being pushed. I have to admit my feet never felt cleaner..But I did draw the line at nail polish. You might be able to take the girl off the mountain...but you ain't getting finger nail polish on her.

Well I am heading home tonight on the Red-eye, then a four-hour car drive, and 30 minute snowmoble ride to my home in the woods. I long to feel the embrace of the forest again.

Paula Windeagle Martin

No comments: