Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Out of the Woods

Well after several days of being stuck in the snow...I went for a trip to town. First stop....Cedar Run (population about 6 in town today). As you can see it takes two men to put a snow shovel away in Cedar Run at least that's what I think they are doing.
Next stop was in Morris, I think there is at least a couple hundred people in this town, although I only saw one, the store owner at Pierce's General Store. I picked up a Diet Pepsi, which is always my big treat for going out in the real world.

Then I drove up the road another 10 miles to Wellsboro. Many of you will recognize the famous Gas Street lanterns, which are always lite, and the Court house. After going to the lumber yard for materials and another pepsi...they are only $1 there. Cheapest in the town. I filled the truck up with gas at $2.65/gallon and went to the Native Bagel.

My favorite place to eat, sandwiches, soup, and deserts and most specially the owner, Sue. A nicer person you couldn't meet. Last time I was there I saw an elderly person of the community come in. This person whose mind had been left behind with age and hearing aid as well. Came in speaking loudly. Sue meet her with a smile and a hug. One usually reserved for people who are family or best friends. But one given out as easily to a stranger by Sue. It makes me understand why I love living in these small towns the humanity is real close and personal.

Sue behind the counter at Native Bagel.

I took some sandwiches back down the creek to the Cedar Run Inn, were I shared lunch with Charlotte, Lee and Stanley, the shovel holder above. Stanley shared his latest adventures in Cedar Run, which best left unspoken, are causing one of his neighbors fits. I figured out during the slow months when no tourists are around a standard form of entertainment is to pick on someone deserving of stress...usually someone who can take it the least. The more upset they make this person the more fun they have...unless that someone is them.

We ate our sandwiches watching the eagles in their nest wondering if they were going to hatch some youngins this year. We saw the DNR drop off trout for the upcoming fishing season, talked about seeing bluebirds and the bear taking down all the feeders and getting into the trash. Spring is here and there is only time for a small breath before the season of work begins for all who live here. The camps will open, the tourists will come, and the grass will need mowed. For now I am just happy to feel the warm sun and be able to drive from my house out to the world.

Mountain Girl Road update: Roads drivable some areas of ice or snow edges. Mostly muddy and full of holes, limbs, and rocks. Feel free to come up.

No comments: