Thursday, May 24, 2007

Controlled Burn near Leetonia

Yesterday as I drove through Leetonia, I noticed about thirty guys standing around a lot of equipment. So naturally I stopped and asked what was going on. They proceeded to tell me they were getting ready to burn about 40 acres of woods to the south of Leetonia.

The last time this happened three years ago, they just about burnt the forest down with their "controlled burn". I came home to find the mountain on fire and knew nothing about them doing it. Guess
they forgot to tell us. There isn't much in this woods that scares me but a fire is one thing that sends chills through me. After calling 911 and getting an "we don't know anything about it", I called the Forestry Department and found out, yes they were doing a controlled burn, but it was under control.

Well, it wasn't under control and after about three fire departments and a 100 acres they did get it under control. My trust factor is a little low with this group....so now you see why I was concerned seeing the return of the burners. This time it was a little greener and not quite as dry so I am glad to say they didn't burn the forest down. But they still didn't let us know....so much for communication between the State Forest and the residents of Leetonia.

Looks like good weather for Memorial Day come up and enjoy the fresh air of Leetonia. Mountain Girl, Paula, logging out!

No comments: