Sunday, May 13, 2007

Mother's Day in Leetonia


Mother's day in Leetonia means barn swallows attempting to build a nest on the house. This year they are particularly upset, since I am redoing the siding on the camp and they can't seem to find a place to build that I don't interrupt their progress.

I took the back porch of to do some repairs, which is a spot they have build many of their nests. They keep looking and looking for their old spots and can't seem to figure out where they went. They land on my ladder and look at me wondering what I am up to next.

Next are some pictures of Cedar Run General Store a place most mother's like to visit when they come to the area. It is full of gifts and nic nacs. You can see a beautifully restored canoe hanging on
wall.

The next picture shows the bar they serve a lot of ice cream when it gets warm and sandwiches. It is one of those cozy places that takes you back to the early 1900's as soon as you walk in the door.

Today is the day to think about your mother. But it is also the day we think of all the mother's who have come before us and those who will come after us. Looking at this old store makes me think of
all the women who worked their during the last century..their personal struggles their victories and the hardy spirit they had to have to live up here in the Pennsylvania woods.

Today I remember my Grandmother Ruth Maholm 1900-1970, whose great spirit and story telling has inspired me to write.
My mom Marge Hewitt 1932 who lets me know regularly that acting your age is so boring. My daughter, Mary Todd 1974 whose personal courage has taken her to a new purpose and direction in her life; and her daughter, Reilly Todd, 1995, who defines flexible, fit and energy. I am thankful for all these relationships and what they have taught me and what I am still learning from them about what it means to be a woman and a mother. Have a great Leetonia Mother's Day!

Mountain Girl, Paula, logging out.

No comments: