Sunday, May 6, 2007

Mystery in the Woods



Things have been busy in the woods. Sorry I haven't been blogging the last few days, but this should make up for it.

You are probably wondering what a picture of a fern plant coming up and the view from Cushman overlook have to do with a mystery in the woods.

Well, on Thursday it was reported that three people from Ohio were hiking in the woods off Francias Leetonia Road and in order for me to drive there I went past Cushman and had to take a picture. It is hard to drive past that view with a camera and not take a picture.

My reason for attempting to repeat the steps of the hikers will start now. It appears one of the hikers broke her ankle while hiking back a logging road with her husband and daughter. The husband left the daughter and wife and drove to Micks to call 911. Mick not being home and his door unlocked...as usual. The man walked in and used the phone. Four-wheelers and chain saws were brought in to work their way back to the woman who is now sitting in the dark with her daughter. It was a full moonlit night so it wasn't real scary. Any of you who have been here on one of those nights know you don't need a flashlight to see pretty well in the dark.

For the most part this would have been a NO BIG STORY, except for why the hikers were in the woods to begin with. They were looking for an old B-52 plane crash site that happened in 1946. I had never heard of such a thing so of course I wanted to follow their steps back to the site. The only information I had was it was the first logging road to the right after the Spring House and it was back about a mile and a half. Well, sorry to say this wasn't enough information to find the plane. Hence, the second picture of the fern popping up on the logging road was about all I found. The quest isn't over. I will be pursuing a more accurate location. I must have a picture of this event for the blog and find out some more details.

If any of you know anything about this incident, please email me.
Mountain Girl, Paula, logging out!

1 comment:

elow said...

great article. My father told me of this story as well as a few others. If you ever plan on selling the rgeat 80 acres, let me know :>)