Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Tree Day...rain day

Misty morning today and the promise of rain all day should finish up the greening progress. The apple tree was in full bloom Sunday for mother's day and quickly lost all its blossoms on a nice 27 degree night.

Most of the maple trees are leaved out and the oak trees will shortly follow. I am expecting the woods to get much darker with leaf cover by memorial weekend.

I finished the rest of my siding under my porch after the head butting incident on mother's day. The worst part of the following days has been a reaction to the tetanus shot, making my arm hurt and making me generally tired. Well, at least I am blaming the tiredness on the shot.

The hummingbirds are going full blast now. When they fly by you it always sounds like a bottle rocket being shot off past your head. They are very territorial birds and I am glad they are so small. If
were the size of Robins or larger they would be dangerous animals.

The mist in the morning reminds me of how humid it is here in the forest during the summer. We often have fog and mist during the night and early morning. The ground is always damp with dew and the green moss clings to everything. You must be diligent with your wood and roof care to keep things from rotting and leaking. But of course a bad day in Leetonia is still better than a good day anywhere else for me. Rain is a welcome day of rest from working outside and the promise of a greener tomorrow. Mountain Girl, Paula, logging out!

No comments: