Sunday, April 8, 2007

Easter in Leetonia

Easter Day in Leetonia, I searched for the Easter Bunny everywhere: out by the camp sign where the crocuses closed up huddled against the cold; down by the creek where the branches formed icy finger tips dipping into the spring; and lastly by the Grandmother Tree, we affectionately call, "Oni",meaning born on holy ground, and no Easter Bunny. Not a furry little fluff anywhere to be found this morning.


I can't say I blame the Easter Bunny, working on such a cold day is certainly above and beyond the call of duty and yet part of me hoped I would catch a glimpse of the elusive creature. I spoke to my friend, "Oni", our 200 year-old white pine and asked if she had seen the Easter Bunny.

"No, my granddaughter," she replied, I have only seen the loud Blue Jays perched upon my branches this morning. Perhaps their cawing chased the Bunny away."

"What do you think of this cold, grandmother?"

"The cold does not bother me, young one. The sap that flows through my bark adjusts to the temperature. The animals are complaining more. Have no fear the warm weather always comes."

"Well, I am off to look for the Easter Bunny, grandmother, have a good day."

"You too my walking seedling."

I kept looking after leaving Grandmother Oni, and then I understood. The Easter Bunny is white and its snowing. The Easter Bunny is probably right in front of my face and I didn't see it. Maybe even in one of these pictures. Well if you see the Easter Bunny in one of these pictures or I see the Easter Bunny later I will get a picture. Have a chilly, Leetonia Easter!

No comments: