Saturday, April 21, 2007

A walk in the woods

It was a beautiful morning to take a walk with the dogs. Leo, Jack and I walked up the road and then cut through the woods to the top of the mountain. Even though it was just about freezing the sun sliced through the pine trees and made me feel warm. Its the kind of morning you don't mind the chill. A morning where you feel summer's warmth just a few hours away.

The nice thing about chilly mornings is NO BUGS! Yesterday as with all good things the warm weather woke up the bugs. The fisherman know this is a good thing and refer to the bugs as hatches.

This weekend the hatches are Tan Cuddis, Blue Quill, and Quill Gordon. They sound like the names of coon hounds to me, but to the fish they are an invitation to feed and to the fisherman an invitation to catch trout. These "hatches" remind me my bug free walks are in short supply.

As I came up through the pine forest the sun sliced through the trees lighting my way to the top of the hill behind my house. Exiting the pine trees the full warmth of the sun can be felt on your skin and soul.

It is mother natures happy pill for me. I can't sad about anything on a day like today. As I walked across the top with the dogs in front of me to my surprise a deer(the one in the picture) was grazing unaware that I and the dogs were within 50 feet of it. It noticed and didn't have time to snort before it bounded off. The dogs never saw it. It always amazes me how close they can be and not see or smell something so large. All the better, I didn't have to yell at them to leave the deer alone.

Well, I'm back at the house getting ready to eat my oatmeal and head over to Black Forest to work and I won't mind working at all in this weather. Have a great Leetonia Day. Mountain Girl, Paula logging out.

No comments: